April 5: Palm Sunday – Jesus in the Wilderness
Big idea: God does His most formative work in the wilderness and by trusting God in those uncomfortable places, we can have an unshakeable joy in unprecedented times. God is good, loves us deeply, and still allows us to journey through testing because He is present and has a purpose.Jesus leads the way through the wilderness and shows us how to combat discouragement and the stress of the wilderness. On our faith journey, testing is not just normal, it’s necessary.
Key Passages: Luke 4:1-13, Romans 8:31-39
- What stood out to you from this weekend’s message?
- What lessons are you learning in this coronavirus wilderness?
Read Matthew 7:24-27
- In what areas does the enemy attack Jesus? How does Jesus respond?
- How have you been tempted in these areas? What lies have you believed?
- What actions will you take this week to be better prepared for the attacks?
Read Romans 8:31-39
- Who are we according to this passage?
- What separates us from God’s love?
- How could believing this passage change your wilderness experience?
- Where have you seen God’s goodness in this wilderness? Spend time praising and thanking God.
- Where are you currently most vulnerable to attack? What struggle is the enemy leveraging? Share and invite someone to pray with you.
Holy Week Readings:
Monday – Luke 22:1:20
Tuesday – Luke 22:21-38
Wednesday – Luke 22:39-53
Thursday – Luke 22:54-23:12
Friday – Luke 23:26-56
Past Series Curriculum
Big Idea: What do we do when our beliefs come into conflict with our circumstances? We root our hope in God knowing that faith gives us an unshakable hope in crisis. God, through Moses, led the Israelites out of Egypt and told them to camp by the Red Sea. The Egyptians pursued them, and the…
Big idea: It can be easy to judge our emotions as “good” and “bad”, but our emotions do not hold a moral quality in and of themselves, but rather it is our response which determines their moral quality. Anger is a descriptor of our natural hardwiring as human beings. The root of anger drives our passions, but left unchecked, it can do irreputable damage to…
Big Idea: The season of lent in the Christian calendar is about bringing the entirety of our being into alignment with God. We all have a backstory, upbringings and circumstances which can have a profound impact on who we are and who we are becoming. According to one personality theory, part of how we are hardwired as humans is to process…